Oakwood Animal Hospital in Kalamazoo, MI seeks an Associate Veterinarian to join our compassionate and caring team!
Oakwood Animal Hospital is located in Kalamazoo, Michigan. We truly are a full service small animal practice addressing the needs of pets through routine preventative care, surgical intervention and after hours emergency care. Here is the opportunity to practice all aspects of primary care veterinary medicine. Doctor’s are detail oriented and anxious to provide the best possible care in a collaborating environment. All experience levels welcome and part-time or full-time hours available.
More information at http://www.oakwoodvet.com
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL
- Modern facility with an upcoming remodel!
- In-house laboratory that includes a Vet Scan and Vet Test, technician read urinalysis and sediments, PCV, and extensive cytology work done by our experienced, capable licensed technicians.
- New X-Ray with floating table.
- Digital dental x-ray system.
- Ultrasound Unit (new last year; GE LogiQ PS Vet with cardiac probe and presets).
- Isoflourane anesthesia (with a licensed technician continuously monitoring patient).
- Extensive in-house pharmacy.
- Avimark computer system with unlimited tech support.
- Our doctors are on-call after hours for client only emergencies (rotating schedule).
- Excellent support staff with at least 2 licensed veterinary technicians scheduled per day.
Kalamazoo is progressive and diverse. Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo College both lend a vibrancy and cultural awareness to the community. Economically foundational businesses like Stryker, Pfizer and Zoetis keep the city financially stable. Kalamazoo offers outstanding educational scholarships for all children attending public school in the community. The Kalamazoo Promise https://www.kalamazoopromise.com provides free or highly subsidized tuition to many Michigan colleges and universities. Kalamazoo and the surrounding area offers virtually unlimited outdoor and cultural activities. From lakes and trails to Art Fairs and theatre the selection is limited only by desire. At the end of any activity a variety of traditional American and various ethnic restaurants provide opportunity to wind down with the dish of your choice. Kalamazoo offers the diversity and opportunity of a city like Chicago but with a smaller town atmosphere. Kalamazoo is the community to be a part of in Southwest Michigan.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Associate Veterinarian is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with a Managing Doctor and supporting medical staff. This individual advances the quality of medicine in the practice and provides exceptional client service to our clients and patients.
- Builds rapport with clients by gathering information and listening to, and empathizing with their concerns
- Performs physical examinations and diagnostic/medical/surgical/dental procedures that deliver the highest quality care while minimizing patient stress and discomfort.
- Communicates with clients on topics such as pet diagnosis, treatment plans, preventive health care, and nutritional needs.
- Maintains client/patient medical/surgical records and makes certain all necessary logs are kept up-to-date through established protocols.
- Stays current on new medical information and changes in veterinary medicine.
- Assists in the development of the paraprofessional team to ensure delivery of the highest quality care and exceptional client service.
- Presents a positive image of the hospital in the professional community and to the general public.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
- A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or related degree from an accredited university.
- Licensure in good standing to practice in the state in which applicant is to be employed.
- Commitment to practicing the highest standard of medicine and upholding veterinary code of ethics.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Works collaboratively with hospital team members.
- Makes decisions confidently and effectively.
- Manages time and tasks appropriately.
- Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
- Surgical skills a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.