1-4 week Clinical Externship - Virginia - $200/Day Stipend, Small Animal Private Practice
Eagle's Nest Animal Hospital
Location: King George, Virginia
$200 per day
DVM or equivalent
3 openings available.
Thank you for considering a clinical externship at Eagle's Nest Animal Hospital. We are a privately-owned, business. Our goal is to help equip the next generation of veterinary students with the skills they need to become successful.
We are a unique kind of animal hospital; just ask our clients! We strive to create a fun and welcoming atmosphere where our clients know their pets are family. Our mission is to provide high quality veterinary medicine, exceptional customer service, and affordable prices. With those goals in mind, ENAH opened its doors in 2007. Since opening, we have seen over 10,000 patients and continue to see substantial yearly growth. In March 2022 we opened our new 8,500 sq. ft. stand-alone hospital with separate canine and feline facilities. Canine and feline patients are 99% of our caseload with a variety of small mammals making up the other 1%.
What We Offer
We are a fun, supportive, and team-oriented small animal hospital. Our externs will experience the typical caseload of a well-run, multi-doctor private practice. Under the supervision of a veterinarian, externs will provide wellness care, gather patient histories, perform physical examinations, develop diagnostic and therapeutic plans, assist in the management of medical cases, scrub into surgery, develop client communication skills, and generate appropriate medical records.
Small Animal Medicine (internal medicine, general surgery, dentistry, theriogenology, acupuncture)
Located in King George, VA
Average daily caseload: 90
Schedule: Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm
Available on a rolling basis
1 to 4-week terms (negotiable)
$200 per day stipend
8,500 sq. ft.
Separate Canine & Feline Facilities (waiting, exam, boarding, treatment, pharmacy)
10 Exam Rooms (2 comfort rooms)
Special Procedures Room
Grooming & Boarding
Digital X-ray (new system 2022)
Heska in-house lab equipment (chemistry, hematology, endocrinology, EPOC) *90% of blood work done in-house
Ultrasound – Doppler
Well-equipped surgery suite
We are looking for talented students. We expect extern students to participate in patient care activities while upholding the professional and ethical standards of our practice. Externships are open to all levels of student, contingent on a productive interview (online, via phone, in-person).
Enrolled in accredited DVM program
In good academic standing
Authorized to work in the U.S.
Student Liability Insurance (free through SAVMA student membership)
We are a different kind of animal hospital. We have really nice employees who have a lot of fun at work while at the same time providing excellent customer service and high quality medicine. We've carefully built a culture of team work and positive attitudes. We have a new suite of Heska lab equipment, a recently upgraded fully digital X-ray machine, Doppler ultrasound, electronic records etc. Currently we have more than 8 staff per doctor, which makes everyone more efficient. We recently completed the building of our new 8,500 sq. ft. animal hospital with 10 exam rooms, two surgeries, and essentially a hospital within a hospital for cats. The cats only have to leave the cat area for surgery and X-ray. We only do small animal. There is a local emergency animal hospital which handles nights, weekends and holidays. We do work with animal control and our breeders to do the odd emergency/ c-section but it is only a handful of times a year. Our doctors bring their personal dogs to work almost every, and they are mostly free range around the hospital.