1 or 2 Veterinarians wanted for small animals and exotics, excellent mentoring
Charlestown Animal Hospital
Location: Charlestown, New Hampshire
Type: Full Time
Salary: $100,000-140,000 / year
Starting salary range is $100,000 – $140,000, based on experience. Relocation allowance is negotiable. And in this tight housing market, we have a 3 bedroom/2 bath house to rent just minutes from work and we can make a 1 bedroom apartment less than 10 minutes from work, with land to recreate on, available to rent.
Before you decide this isn’t enough compared to other hospitals, please consider: your money goes a lot farther in a semi-rural area than an urban one - you can buy a house and land here with what you’ll pay to rent a small apartment in a city; extra dollars won’t replace the mentoring you’ll get here; extra dollars won’t replace the many environmental factors that decrease your stress level living here. Your quality of life will be so much better here because we’re a really awesome group to work with!
In addition to salary plus generous on-call compensation, we offer paid: DEA and state licenses, AVMA dues, Continuing Ed, time off (no quibbling about vacation vs sick vs personal time), professional liability, health insurance contribution, Simple IRA with up to 3% matching from us, VIN membership, clothing allowance, and generous pet discounts.
DVM or equivalent
2 openings available.
We are growing rapidly, and need more people!
Do you want: MENTORING in an OPEN encouraging environment (and yes, that includes LGBTQIA+), to be part of a GREAT TEAM, to have enough TIME TO CONNECT with your patients and clients, some FLEXIBILITY to your schedule so you can have that WORK-LIFE BALANCE in a BEAUTIFUL PLACE so you can be HAPPY both at work and at play?
WE'VE GOT ALL THAT AND MORE!
* MENTORING - Our associate said our mentoring is part of what makes us stand out from the competition. We love to share what we know, and we have every interest in setting you up to succeed with a staged on-boarding.
* AN ENCOURAGING, OPEN ENVIRONMENT - Don’t know everything already? Funny that, nor do we… But we love to learn new things and share!
* A GREAT TEAM TO WORK WITH - We like each other (and new people) and have fun at work! Our friendly, highly skilled staff includes the equivalent of 5 1/2 full time technicians ("work-life balance" means not everyone wants full-time, but our staffing needs are covered) who start appointments, gather histories, collect and run lab work (blood, urine, ear smears, centrifuged fecals, etc), take rads, place catheters, start fluids, anesthetize and intubate patients, work in client education, crack jokes with each other and the clients, plus plus plus. When our "diabolical plan" (yes, tongue-in-cheek humor) that this is the Treat Place instead of the Needle-pokey-proddy Place is not enough, we have one person who is especially good / calming for the big, scared, and mobile dogs, making it easier and more pleasant for us, the pets, and the clients. Many of our clients tell us their dogs love to come here, and the pets who act out at other places don't act out here, (or not as much), because we bribe them through scary things and have great staff who work with them, which is one of the reasons we need more doctors!
* ENOUGH TIME FOR APPOINTMENTS - A schedule of 30 min appts + 10 min breaks between (and no double-booking) = time to interact, educate, and tailor a plan to meet our clients’ + patients’ needs = better compliance and long-term satisfaction for us all.
* SOME FLEXIBILITY IN YOUR WORK WEEK - Are you looking for a 3, 4, or 5 day work week? Are you an early bird or a night owl, and hoping for work hours to match? For the most part, we can accommodate…
* A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK AND PLAY - This semi-rural area of southwestern New Hampshire hosts an extensive multi-use trail system for hiking / biking / horseback riding / snow mobiling / etc, a handful of big mountains for skiing / tubing / snow boarding and some smaller local ones as well, plenty of access for camping / fishing / boating / swimming / hunting / etc, and plenty of events and activities. BTW, Vermont is 5 minutes away for those of you who would like to live in Vermont and work in NH. And urban areas / college towns with all the amenities are not far away. This is why so many people moved HERE due to COVID.
* NICE TOYS TO PLAY WITH - We have Idexx in-house blood and urine analyzers, tonopen, digital x-ray and digital dental x-ray, a new ultrasound, rigid TCI and flexible endoscopes, radiocautery, surgical suction, fluid pumps, anesthetic monitors, hot water blankets, incubator for cultures, incubator / O2 cage for small to medium pets, and more.
* REALISTIC WORK ATTIRE - polo shirt with our logo, good jeans / Carhartts or similar, sensible shoes, no uncomfortable and easily ruined dress wear, and no white coat to scare the patients.
Check out our website, charlestownanimalhospital .com for more information on the services we offer our clients. There’s lots of routine stuff, but some things we do here are fairly unique and pretty cool, which gives our clients more options and us some variety. Newbies – no worries, we really do great mentoring!
We’re looking for a couple more people like us: team-players who are compassionate, thorough, client-education-oriented, able to think outside the box, with a wild (but never mean) sense of humor, and not inclined to drama. We’d like full timers, but the right part timers would be considered. New grads are welcome. Friends or partners who work well together are welcome. We would like full timers to cover some on-call, but don’t let that scare you off: a good bit is triage for our own clientele that ends in suggested home care or follow up the next business day, it’s just 1 night per week and 1 weekend per month (or something similar, we're flexible), new grads get a few months to get their feet wet with general practice and experienced vets can have up to a month to get settled before being on-call, anything you’re not comfortable with or needs more extensive care can be sent to an emergency hospital, you’ll always have a tech with you if you have to see someone, we’re still available to consult or help out, and you are compensated additionally for all the pets you see on emergency (a great way to pay off loans faster…). People really appreciate our ability to triage and talk them through things after-hours, which gained us more daytime clients, and is also why we need more doctors!
For those of you actively interested in emergency and critical care, we stopped taking non-client urgencies and emergencies a year ago because it was too much for our existing staff, but the need still exists for a variety of reasons. We would be happy to make you and the people who live around us happier by taking those clients/patients again...
We have a real buy-in/buy-out opportunity for the person who fits our hospital culture. I'm not ready to retire yet because I still love what we do, but I am seriously ready to plan that. We value our staff and clientele enough not to want to sell to a corporate buyer when the time comes. This means that for the right person, we'll be a fairly motivated seller in terms of setting you up to succeed.
If what we have described appeals to you, then please contact us to chat about our job openings.
You’ll need a NH license (pass the NAVLE and a NH jurisprudence exam), and a VT license (pass the NAVLE and apply to VT).
A DEA license and APHIS accreditation are a plus (you can’t play with puppies for health certificates without an APHIS accreditation…).
We are a growing, 1 doctor small animal hospital in beautiful semi-rural Southwestern New Hampshire, with the great outdoors in our own back yard, and urban amenities not far away. Our highly skilled, and still growing, staff currently includes the equivalent of 5+1/2 full time technicians and 5 additional support personnel. Our associate said our mentoring sets us apart, as do our patrons about our client education. We are a full service hospital, offering wellness care, internal medicine, reproduction, stem cell, and surgical services. See our website, charlestownanimalhospital.com, for a full list of our services. We have visiting certified Ultrasonographer and board certified Internist for consultations, special ultrasounds, cardiology work-ups, etc, as well as several referral hospitals within a reasonable distance.