Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide compassionate, quality preventive and basic care to patients, overseeing all aspects of veterinary care during a clinic day including physical examination, diagnostics, treatment recommendations and delivery, prescribing of medications and discharge information
- Perform pre-surgery physical examinations on all surgical candidates
- Perform 30-40 high quality, high volume spay/neuter surgical procedures per spay/neuter clinic day (individualized training provided by the ASPCA)
- Diagnose and treat post-surgical medical complications
- Perform and oversee all aspects of minor outpatient surgical procedures
- Provide a safe and compassionate environment for animals in our care, our staff, and for our clients by using low-stress handling techniques
- Triage and refer cases that do not fall within CM’s parameters of care as appropriate
- Perform humane euthanasia in accordance with ASPCA policy and CM protocols
- Provide support and medical services in special cases as needed, including evaluation and treatment of animals living in hoarding situations
Client Service (30%)
- Communicate with all clients in a non-judgement, effective and professional manner; discuss physical examination and test results to allow pet owners to make informed decisions about their pet’s care
- Counsel owners about end of life and other sensitive medical concerns
- Provide discharge instructions for patients and oversee the dispensing of medications
- Occasionally support the ASPCA’s Community Engagement team by providing medical care for pets at a client’s residence/in the field when transporting to an ASPCA clinic location is not practical
- Document exam findings, test results and treatment recommendations according to ASPCA guidelines
- Collaborate and foster good communication with ASPCA colleagues
- Participate in veterinary/medical training of CM staff, ASPCA staff and veterinary and technical students by coaching, discussion, and demonstration
- Assist in determining the needed scope of services provided by Community Medicine based on experience with patients and clients and provide input into medical protocols
- Support the ASPCA’s commitment to research and development to benefit animals across the country by participating in studies designed to improve access to care
- Participate in CM’s monthly virtual medical rounds, attend workshops or staff meetings as requested
- For those willing/interested in travel, occasional opportunities to deploy with the ASPCA’s National Field Response team to assist with large-scale disaster or cruelty cases
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of factors, including but not limited to education, training, experience, location, business needs, internal equity, market demands or budgeted amount for the role. The target hiring range is for new hire offers only, and staff compensation may increase beyond the maximum hiring range based on performance over time. The maximum of the hiring range is reserved for candidates with the highest qualifications and relevant experience. The expected hiring salary range for this role is set forth below and may be modified in the future.
The target hiring range for this role is $148,000 - $156,000
For more information on our benefits offerings, can be found here.
For more information on the internal hiring range for this position, please see here.
Stay Connected – Join Our Talent Community
If you are interested in joining our team but do not see a position listed that fits your experience or interests, please click this link and join our Talent Community to stay connected to future opportunities with the ASPCA.
Qualifications:Bilingual (Spanish) Strongly Preferred, Current New York State veterinary license – new graduates welcome!, Fear Free® Veterinary certification is required within 60 days of hire, Must have Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or equivalent
Veterinarian License - Other
Language:English (Required), Spanish
Education and Work Experience:Doctorate: Veterinary Medicine (Required), DVM: Veterinary Medicine
Experience in general small animal practice or shelter medicine preferred, Experience in high quality, high volume spay/neuter preferred, We love new graduates and provide structured mentorship while you hone your skills
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA’s standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA’s People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
ASPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
Please don’t forget to attach your resume to complete your application.